This Sunday, I have the honor of being an Achilles Guide to the most incredible athlete, David Fraiser. This will be our 12th New York City Marathon together. David was dubbed the “final finisher” of the NYC marathon a few years ago by The New York Times. David is a wheelchair athlete born with cerebral palsy. David can be seen through out the five boroughs pushing himself backwards in his wheelchair with just one foot for 90% of the race. The other 10% of the race he faces forward on the downhills rolling down at top speed. Dave told a reporter at last year’s marathon, “This is how I get around every day, this is my life. I’ve always done it like this, I don’t know another way.”

First Marathon

Dave ran his first marathon in 2007. His wife Nora got stomach cancer. He vowed to do a marathon each year as a tribute to her. Nora has been in remission since 2008. This year will be Dave’s 15th NYC marathon. Dave and Nora live in Brooklyn with their three sons. Dave who is a CPA, decided 3 years ago at age 52, to get his personal training certification and now trains private clients in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Dave can be seen doing most of his own marathon training through out the summer and fall in Central Park.

our 12th New York City Marathon together

Marathon Sunday is my absolute favorite day in NYC and to be able to be apart of Dave’s day is a true honor. Our day starts out early. We get an hour head start with the other wheelchair athletes and hand cyclists. It’s just a small group for the first hour. The marathon starts an hour later with the elite athletes that we get to see passing by on the Verrazano Bridge and then in Brooklyn. And then all of the sudden waves of runner come past us, like 55,000 runners. My job and Mike, Dave’s other long time guide are in charge of keeping him safe and clearing a path for him. By the time we hit mile 18 in Manhattan, that’s around 3 in the afternoon, Dave is super hungry. My two sons deliver pizza to him and walk part of the way with us. Each year, I am completely inspired by Dave’s grit and determination to finish the race. Dave puts forth a human effort like no other to reach that finish line. Dave embodies the idea that wit the right mindset you can be capable of anything. I was paired up with Dave 13 years ago through the Achilles Foundation. Achilles is an international organization that puts challenged athletes in races globally and pairs them with guides to help them throughout their race. Without Achilles, athletes like Dave couldn’t not complete in the marathon. If you would like to make a donation to help support athletes like David Fraiser, please click here.

If you want like to become a guide and be a part of the Achilles community please click here

Tricia Williams

Tricia Williams

Tricia Williams is a talented Chef recognized as a leader in the fields of Nutrition and Holistic Health. Some years ago, Tricia founded Food Matters, a boutique, nutritionally-sound meal delivery service. Closely collaborating with her clients’ coaches, integrative physicians, and nutritionists, Tricia was able to successfully tailor meal plans that met both their taste preferences and their health goals.

Unveiling The Healing Path: Dr. Sara Szal Gottfried’s Breakthrough Book, “The Autoimmune Cure”

In a groundbreaking exploration of the intricate connection between trauma and autoimmune diseases, New York Times bestselling author, Dr. Sara Szal Gottfried, unveils her latest masterpiece: “The Autoimmune Cure.” With a mission to empower and heal, this transformative
guide breaks through the limitations of conventional medicine, offering hope to the millions silently suffering from autoimmune conditions.

Nothing Changes If Nothing Changes: Introducing our New Meal Plan Partner Brian Mazza

I am thrilled to announce the dynamic collaboration between Daily Dose and the incredibly versatile entrepreneur, Brian Mazza. With over 15 years of expertise in Hospitality and Fashion, Brian has played a key role in co-creating some of New York City’s most iconic brands.

Brian’s journey commenced as a dedicated athlete, earning a Division 1 Soccer scholarship at The University of Rhode Island. This athletic background has served as the foundation for his unwavering passion for health and wellness, a journey that is constantly evolving.