No products in the cart
Joanna Vargas is today’s it-esthetician for today’s it-celebrities, and anyone who wants gorgeous, glowing skin that endures. Known for her powerhouse refining and reshaping facials offered at her signature NYC + LA salons, Joanna Vargas products reflect her unique combination of technique, technology and all-natural ingredients formulated to beautify.
Labor Day is soon here, and if you’re anything like us, you’ll be getting some time in the sun. It is key to care for your skin before, during, and after sun exposure to minimize both immediate and long term damage.
While everyone wants the benefits of Vitamin D penetrating the skin, I can honestly say the sun isn’t your skin’s best friend. Inflammation, hyperpigmentation and fine lines are just some of the consequences from prolonged sun exposure.
Here’s our guide to keep you skin looking flawless and youthful over the holiday weekend:
- First, I would encourage you to go light on makeup or foundation if you are in a warm place. Sweating more means dirt and pollution sticking to your skin way more causing inflammation. Inflammation can quickly lead to breakouts and hyperpigmentation. Keeping your makeup routine minimal will be easier for the skin to manage.
- Next, pay extra attention to your skincare routine. A gel based serum to hydrate, soothe, nourish and protect the skin, or using a serum with Vitamin C and other antioxidants can protect the skin against the damage from the sun. Additionally, serums can be layered, so you can get hydration, antioxidant protection with more than one application . Hyaluronic acid will hydrate and nourish and Vitamin C argan oil, green tea or sea buckthorn help protect the skin. Antioxidants can protect against the prolonged affects of inflammation and direct sun exposure which can lead to uneven pigment, fine lines, loss of elasticity, wrinkles and a rough skin surface. Protecting collagen is a full time job in the summer monhts and serums are a great way to manage that easily, no matter your skin type or skin tone.
- One of my non-negotiables is to always wear sunscreen and always reapply sunscreen, even if you are only going in to the office. Make sure you use broad spectrum that protects against UVA and UVB rays. A sunscreen that comes in handy is the SuperGoop (Re)setting 100% Mineral Powder SPF 35. It’s a translucent powder, so it goes over makeup and is the perfect thing to magnify and reapply multiple times a day without clogging the pores.
- I would also urge you to use a proper hat and sunglasses. Having some additional protection from the sun is very effective against inflammation and redness. I always look for the shade wherever I go- I promise, you still feel warm and happy even when you are more protected from the direct rays of the sun!
- Now, if you have gotten too much sun accidentally, don’t fear! I got a few tricks to get your skin soft and calm again. First, you want to make sure you properly cleanse the skin. If you are red from a sunburn, the last thing you want is to continue the inflammation trend by not washing properly. I recommend a cleanser with chamomile to calm and hydrate the skin. Next, calm and rehydrate further with a mask containing chamomile, hyaluronic acid, and aloe. The skin is stressed after too much sun so you need to calm it and replenish so the redness disappears by morning.
I also have some tips on how to optimize the services offered at Joanna Vargas Spas in New York and Los Angeles to keep you skin looking flawless and youthful over the holiday weekend.
Before Sun Exposure
- Oxygen Purifying Facial: This deep-cleansing facial will help clear out makeup, residue, toxins and debris from pores resulting in softer and smoother skin. This is great to do before sun exposure to ensure your sunscreen can sink in as needed and won’t goop up and peel off!
- Golden Glow Sunless Tan: Getting your tan on without exposing yourself to damaging sun rays is just smart. No need fry yourself in the sun, bronze safely beforehand and enjoy being under a hat to protect your skin.
After Sun Exposure
- Sleeping Beauty LED Bed: This double-duty treatment exfoliates your face and heals your skin from head to toe in our FDA-approved LED bed. Help expedite healing from sun exposure and elements by 300% in each session.
- SuperNova Facial: Replenish hydration with our fan-favorite facial. Plus, the cryotherapy will increases cellular metabolism, circulation and oxygenation while providing anti-inflammatory benefits… perfect for post sun exposure.
Book your treatments now to keep your skin and body beautiful, glowing, and healthy all holiday long. Click to book in New York or Los Angeles.
oanna Vargas is today’s it-esthetician for today’s it-celebrities, and anyone who wants gorgeous, glowing skin that endures. Known for her powerhouse refining and reshaping facials offered at her signature NYC + LA salons, Joanna Vargas products reflect her unique combination of technique, technology and all-natural ingredients formulated to beautify.
Get in touch
Get In Touch
- (212) 949-2350
- 7New York City
501 5th Ave, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10012
- Los Angeles
Sunset Tower Hotel
8358 Sunset Blvd
West Hollywood, CA
The Daily Five By Serena Poon
Serena Poon, CN, CHC, CHN fuses her expertise as a celebrity chef, certified nutritionist and Reiki Master to serve her A-list clientele, from the likes of Jerry Bruckheimer to Kerry Washington. Serena Loves was launched in 2019, a lifestyle brand, blog and TV show that encompasses all the pillars of optimal health, well-being, and longevity.
How Do I Curb My Cravings? 3 Tips for Mindful Eating (+ still enjoying the foods you love!)
Cravings and Willpower A common question that I get when people are trying to improve their nutrition is, “How do I curb my cravings?” Learning how to troubleshoot cravings can feel challenging, but it doesn’t have to be that way forever. My approach to nutrition...
The Daily Five by Dr Will Cole
Dr. Will Cole – a leading functional-medicine expert and New York Times-bestselling author – specializes in clinically investigating underlying factors of chronic disease and customizing health programs for thyroid issues, autoimmune conditions, hormonal dysfunctions, digestive disorders, and brain problems.