What Makes Acidic Foods in the Diet Bad?
From Dr. Daryl Gioffre’s blog:
Think about what acid does from a common sense standpoint. Pure acid with a pH of 0 on a scale of 0-14 can burn a hole through metal (think of battery acid), and if it can do that to metal, think about what that’s doing inside your body, to your digestive system, your joints and muscles, your cardiovascular system, and your BRAIN.
Just like your body temperature needs to be tightly regulated to 98.6, the pH of your blood ALWAYS tightly regulates itself at 7.4, so just about neutral on the pH scale but slightly alkaline. This number is so important that if it deviates by even as much as a half of a point, you are dead.
One of the questions I get all the time from my patients is, “If the pH of my blood is constant and always tightly regulated, why do I have to eat and drink alkaline?”
The purpose of eating alkaline foods and drinking alkaline water is NOT to try and raise the pH of your blood.
Your body has a priority system that it uses to find these minerals to neutralize the damaging acids and toxins in your body. It will “rob Peter to pay Paul” so to speak, pulling minerals from anywhere in the body before it lets the blood become too acidic, and the first place it goes is your mouth.
The saliva in your mouth has a small amount of alkaline minerals to act as a buffer, and that is why pH testing of your saliva is so important. If it is below 7.0 (ideally between 7.2 – 7.4, which can be measured RIGHT before you eat, which I call the Eating Saliva pH Test), you are acidic and lack the necessary mineral reserves or buffers your body needs to neutralize any acids or toxins in your body.
Health is all about the TERRAIN, and as a result, the internal environment becomes more vulnerable to things like colds, viruses, candida, bacterial overgrowth, fungus, mild parasites, and even cancer.
Unfortunately, your saliva doesn’t contain a big reserve of minerals, so you soon run out. After extracting what it can from saliva, urine, and muscles, your body turns to its greatest mineral bank – bones.
It’s been estimated that the standard American diet robs our skeletons of almost half its calcium over a period of 20 years. No wonder pharmaceutical companies are making millions from osteoporosis drugs!
So in summary, the goal is NOT to change the pH of your blood – it’s designed to make your body more sufficient in alkaline minerals and nutrients and remove the daily chemical stresses that result from an acidic lifestyle so that your body is more efficient.
In other words, we don’t want your body to have to work so hard, which exhausts it, and depletes it. Let me give you an example…
Let’s say it’s a hot summer day, and you have your air conditioner pumping at full throttle to keep you cool. Let’s also say that you NEVER cleaned out (or detoxified) the filter in the air conditioner – think about how much HARDER you’re A/C unit will have to work to keep the room cool. Sooner or later, it will break down.
Well, your body is NO different! If you are stressed, and pumping your body with crappy carbs, sugar, and all other forms of acid-forming foods. Add to that, toxins in the water, air, environment, home, personal care products. You get my point?
You are exposed to on average 80,000 chemicals in a single year. Your body has to deal with that, otherwise they will take you out!
And that is my point – the reason WHY we need to eat healthy, with an alkalizing diet loaded with greens, healthy keto fats, minerals, moderate protein, and low sugar, is to take the stress OFF your body’s system so it doesn’t have to work so hard doing all the regulating.
If you don’t, you will conk out just like the air conditioner, but in today’s world, we call that heart disease (heart attack, stroke, etc), cancer, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, etc.
If you want to prevent this, you have to pay more attention to the single most important number in your body, the pH (which stands for potential for hydrogen, but I like to say, Perfect Health!)
But here’s the fact - most people pay more attention to the pH of their soil in their garden or the water in their pool than the pH of their own body!
High-Acidic Foods to Avoid:
- Processed foods
- Carbonated water
- Artificial sweeteners
8 Simple Changes to Make Your Diet More Alkaline
- Do deep breathing exercises 3 times a day. Not only will you get more energy, you will also get rid of the most damaging acid in your body, carbon dioxide, which is 120 times more acidic than every other acid in your body COMBINED, including the acid in your stomach!
- Hydrate (and coffee doesn’t count)! Drink half of your body weight in ounces of filtered water daily. So if you weigh 150 pounds, then you ought to be drinking 75 ounces of water daily. Better yet, add a slice of lemon to increase the alkalinity.
- Avoid or minimize harmful acids like sugar, gluten, dairy, coffee, alcohol, soda, processed food, artificial sweeteners, and carbonated water. Even cutting out one of these foods is going to make a difference in your alkalinity and your energy levels.
- Replace your acidic breakfast with a green smoothie. Having a fresh, green smoothie daily is an awesome way to pack nutrient-dense alkaline super foods into your body.
- Always go with a green like spinach or kale as your foundation, a small amount of fruit for sweetness and some healthy fats to neutralize any sugars in the fruit like coconut oil, raw almond butter, or chia seeds. Then add a plant-based liquid like coconut water, coconut milk, or almond milk, blend, and enjoy.
- Exercise for at least 20 minutes every day. Sweating will help your body release the toxins and acids that have built up over time, even if you’re doing something as simple as a brisk walk. Find what works for you and make it a part of your routine. My favorite is the rebounder.
- Go 80/20. Again, being healthy is NOT about deprivation! You can have fun, and in fact, I encourage it! Indulge from time to time, but stay balanced. In other words, aim to eat 80% alkaline foods and only 20% acidic foods. Grab my Ultimate Alkaline/Acid Food Guide to make it easy to choose alkaline.
- Get plenty of greens & minerals. If you’re going to make ONE simple change.
The fastest way to crush acid is to give your body the alkaline nutrients you’ve been missing, and your body will start to heal itself. By starting each morning with Alkamind Daily Greens, you’ll have abundant energy and mental clarity each day, boost your immune system, and get 5 whole servings of organic super food greens in just 30 seconds.
Then take Alkamind Daily Minerals every night to ensure a good night’s rest, less stress and brain fog, fewer sugar cravings, and easier workout recovery.
Together, Greens and Minerals will increase the results of any of the steps you take to get off your acid by 50-70%
LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR ACID-KICKING MEAL PROGRAM AND REDUCE THE RISKS THAT ACIDIC FOODS POSE ON YOUR HEALTH AND LONGEVITY.
DR. DARYL GIOFFRE
Dr. Daryl Gioffre is a longevity expert who uses cutting-edge nutrition to help you uncover the root causes of inflammation in your body, to achieve and maintain an optimal level of health and energy. A former sugar addict turned health machine, he knows firsthand what it takes to overcome adversity and challenges in your health.
This acid-kicking meal plan is ideal for anyone who wants to live a longer, healthier, high-performance, low-stress life.
Get Off Your Acid
An acidic lifestyle-consuming sugar, dairy, excess animal proteins, processed food, alcohol, preservatives, artificial sweeteners, refined grains - along with lack of exercise, food allergies, and food sensitivities-causes inflammation. And inflammation is the culprit behind many of our current ailments, as well as causing weight gain and preventing weight loss.