Lettuce cups make an easy substitute for taco shells in this easy to make recipe.
Salmon Tacos with Fermented Slaw:
Yield: 5 tacos
- 1 seared salmon filet (preferably wild salmon)
- ½ avocado, pitted
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon chopped cilantro
- Sea salt
- 5 large butter lettuce leaves
- ½ cup sauerkraut or favorite fermented vegetables
- Mash the avocado in a small bowl using the back of a fork.
- Add the jalapeno, lime juice, cilantro and sea salt.
- Mix well then set aside.
- Place the seared salmon in a small bowl, flaking the fish into small pieces with a fork.
- Spread out the lettuce cups and build the tacos.
- Divide the seared salmon filet flakes into the lettuce cups.
- Top each one with the sauerkraut and avocado mixture.
Seared Salmon Filets:
Makes 2 servings
- Two 6- ounce salmon filets (preferably wild salmon)
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil.
- Season the salmon with sea salt and pepper.
- Heat the avocado oil in cast iron skillet over high heat.
- When skillet is hot, sear the salmon until golden brown – about 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
This recipe works well with cod.